Sometimes you want to enjoy social media without necessarily having your content put in front of the whole world. Good thing you have the option of making your Instagram private.
When I first got Instagram, I’d have a lot of pictures with my family. Family is an important part of my life so evidently, I would share it on Instagram. Naturally, I wasn’t necessarily comfortable having strangers know about my family. So for the longest time, I had my Instagram private.
Eventually, I decided to remove the family pictures and set my Instagram profile to public. Otherwise, it would be difficult to grow my account.
Either way, it’s quite simple to make your Instagram private and will only take about a minute to do!
Making Your Instagram Private
- Open the Instagram app in your phone
- Go to your profile
- Tap the setting/gear button on the top right
- Scroll down to Private Account
- Click to turn it on
Things to note about making Instagram private:
- Posts you share to social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Tinder etc) will be visible even though your Instagram profile is set to private.
- In order to see your profile, people will be required to send you a follow request.
- Follow requests are found in Activity. You will be able to approve or ignore the requests.
- If you approve a request, they will receive a notification. If you ignore it, they will not receive a notification.
- People can send you direct photos or videos even if they’re not following you.
- Only your followers can see your pictures in a hashtags’ feed.
Want to deactivate your account instead? Click here to learn how.
Do you upload posts about your personal life (family, career etc) on Instagram? Do you have your Instagram profile set to private? Let me know in the comment section below!